Position: Upside Preschool Assistant
Reports to: Upside Preschool Director
Status: 20-30 hours, Non-Exempt, 12 month
The Upside Preschool (UP) is a non-profit associate of Park Collective, where we believe that good things can flourish. The school is dedicated to providing excellent quality preschool and daycare services to our neighbors in Prescott Valley at a reasonable cost. The school is a Christian Preschool and as such will reflect those beliefs through Biblical instruction, curriculum, activities, and the actions and behavior of the Staff. It is a place where children of all socioeconomic and faiths are welcome.
The Upside PreschoolAssistant’s responsibilities include: working alongside the preschool teacher to create a safe, structured, loving and fun learning environment for young children. The Assistant will be expected to follow the policies and procedures of the school and enforce the rules of the classroom. The Assistant will be expected to collaborate with the teachers and other preschool staff to educate and guide the young children in the classroom with the goal to prepare the children for kindergarten.
The Preschool Assistant will be responsible for the following:
- Classroom Responsibilities
- Interacts appropriately and positively with children and parents.
- Follows the policies and procedures of Upside Preschool which includes following state and licensing guidelines and upholding the standards of the Empowerment Program.
- Model positive behavior while working with the children.
- Work alongside the teacher(s) to achieve classroom goals and ensure safety of the children in their care.
- Keep the structure of the classroom by following the schedule and curriculum.
- Assist the teacher in emergency drills in a calm and professional manner.
- Assistant will be responsible for keeping the classroom clean and safe which will include toy washing, wiping down surfaces of cots, tables, chairs, shelves, and high touch areas, and sanitizing the classroom bathroom and sinks.
- Assistant may be responsible for sweeping and mopping and/or vacuuming the floors in the preschool and cleaning the bathrooms.
- May serve breakfast and assists as snack and/or lunchtime aide on a rotation basis.
Licensing and Compliance
- Assistant should have proper experience and education as required for state licensing which should include ONE or more of the following:
- HS diploma or GED
- Currently and continuously enrolled in HS or a vocational rehab
- Worked or Volunteered in a childcare facility for 12+ months
- Associates or Bachelors in ECE
- NAC/CDA/CCP certificate
- Assistant will be required to attend 18 hours of training per year
- Assistant will be required to have a current first aid and CPR training card/certificate
- Assistant will be required to pass a background check and have a level one fingerprint clearance card.
- Assistant will be updated on her vaccinations and have a negative TB test (within the last 6 months) .
- Assistant may be asked to acquire a food handling card to ensure proper food handling safety.
- Assistant will work alongside the teacher to prepare the curriculum and prep the materials.
Parent and Community Relationships
- Maintain open communication and personal interaction with parents/guardians and co-workers.
- Attend planned Upside events to promote positive relationships with community and Upside families.
- Help promote and keep parents informed of activities, events, etc. at Upside
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Demonstrates a heart and passion for children
- Working knowledge of childcare regulations and safety practices
- Must be versatile and collaborative team player with the ability to work independently
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks. Be able to prioritize effectively.
- Proven ability to use good judgement and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to handle emergency situations with a professional and confident demeanor
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Theologically and doctrinally aligned with Heights Church on important matters
- Demonstrates evidence of a Christ-like attitude in words and actions, with humility
- Must meet AZ State requirements for a Preschool Aide
- Having or working towards a Degree or Certificate in Early Childhood is preferred
- An understanding of young children and their developmentally appropriate needs
- A clear background check, fingerprint and safety check is required
- Previous experience working with young children is preferred
- Maintain CPR and First Aid certifications
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit both in a chair and on the floor. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The job requires being inside and outside of the building. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and color vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.